Monday, November 2, 2009

Jennifer McCreath - Biography - February 7, 2011

I am Jennfer McCreath, a 37 yr old transsexual marathon runner and trans-rights advocate. I am a post-op (meaning that I have underdone the surgical correction of my genitals to become anatomically female).

I was born and raised in Halifax, Nova Scotia, but have also lived in Black Point, Nova Scotia; Toronto, Ontario; London, Ontario; and currently live in St. John's, Newfoundland.

I am a provincial public figure who is best known for advocating for trans-rights and helping society gain a better understanding, education, and awareness of transsexualism and the issues transsexuals face.

I have been featured on NTV and CBC news, as well as local radio and newspapers in Newfoundland. I have also been a guest speaker at a variety of public events, addressing audiences including university students, St. John's and Corner Brook PRIDE week festivities attendees, health care professionals, and politicians & government policy makers. I have also been a guest lecturer for a variety of courses at Memorial University. I have also done some consulting work for the local Health Authority, in the context of assisting with the transition of a trans patient.

I am a marathon runner and long-distance swimmer. I became the first formally-sanctioned transsexual marathon runner in world history when i ran the World Outgames Marathon in Copenhagen, Denmark in 2009. I also became the first formally-sanctioned transsexual swimmer at those games as well. I have run a total of 25 marathons, including 2 Boston Marathons. I am also a part-time volunteer running, health and fitness coach.

I am currently working as a file clerk in the Newfoundland public service, but desire to regain employment at a senior analyst level in a public service capacity. My background is business admin and public policy, having worked 7 years in government policy development and information management jobs - including work with the Canadian Federal Public Service, the Ontario Public Service, and the Newfoundland Public service. I hold a Bachelor Degree in Admin (Management Concentration), and a College Diploma in Business Admin.

I am a non-voting Member of Canadian Professional Association for Transgender Health (cpath.ca); I am a co-founder of the newly-created St. John's Pride Incorporated; and co-founder of the Newfoundland & Labrador Chapter of International FrontRunners (an LGBT-focused jogging and social club).

I enjoy 1960s and 70s rock, blues, metal, country, and most of all, country rock music. My favourite band is California country rock band, Poco (http://www.poconut.org/).

I aspire to work with government policy makers to ensure that transsexuals are able to obtain access to the health care that they need, and the human rights recognitions and protections that we currently lack in many parts of the world.

No comments: