Saturday, October 18, 2008

October 18, 2008 - back in the groove & strategizing about my futhre

well, it was a day of light running around the city this afternoon to get various things done.. a run over to the pond to visit with my little friends, the duckies.. and then a run over to the Running Room to pick up my race kit for tomorrow's 20K, where i was greeted and congradulated by the race organizers on my infamous 2 marathons in 2 days..

then it was a nice 40 minute swim, without my goggles, which somehow got left at home. so the chlorine really bothered my eyes.. it was still nice to get back in the pool after several days off.

then i ran to a walk in clinic to have my dog bite looked at.. good news is that the wound does not appear to be problematic. it is a little painful but it doesn't seem to hamper my running. (on that note, the bruise on the other leg seems to have healed so i should be fine to give it a good effort tomorrow).

then for added measure, i took a scenic route back home and ran by another pond, and saw more duckies, and swans! 11.5k of running in total, all on a new pair of shoes that i wanted to break in for tomorrow's big day.

....well, rather than completely throw out my racing career for the next 2-3 years, i have decided to try for a long shot. i will be contacting various race committees and athletic associations and asking them to consider allowing me to participate in their events in a 3rd sex catagory.

i'm still going to hold strong that i will not run as a "male" ever again after tomorrow, but if they are willing to put either the female or even an "intrasex," "in transition" or even "other" label on me, then i will happily compete in their events. Boston will be among the folks that i will be contacting. it will be very interesting to see what they all come back with.

Jennifer

No comments: