Sunday, June 21, 2009

June 22, 2009 - update

well, i just got back from a 4 day stay in the hospital. turns out my shortness of breath issues had nothing to do with exhaustion or running... i had a blood clot in my left lung!

a very scary situation and i am very fortunate to still be alive.. clots can very easily travel to the brain or heart and cause strokes or heart attacks.. hard to believe i was actually out running around for 2 weeks with this thing in my lung!

i owe my life to my family doc. not convinced that i just had a sinus infection, i went to see her thursday, and she recognized the symptoms and realized the clotting risks of taking estrogen and advised me to report to emergency immediately, which i did..

a CT scan revealed the clot. 3 days in hospital on heavy clot busting meds and blood thinning meds had me well enough to return home today. and i actually just got back from a short 2.5k run, which felt ok. my breathing is quite a bit better.. although not 100% yet. i'm still in a state of both emotional and physical shock, but i have been advised that there was no permanent damage and that i should make a full recovery in 1-2 weeks.

not really sure what this will mean for me going forward. running is the last thing on my mind these days as i will be busy apartment hunting, job hunting, and following up with various doctors.

oh well, glad to be back online.. no internet in the hospital, geeze.. lol

Jennifer

No comments: