Sunday, April 7, 2013

Government Cuts affect Running Budget - McCreath out of NLAA Flat Out 5K!

Well, with my demotion from Information Management Tech II to a Communications Tech, I have already started to make the financial adjustment. Sadly, this means cutting out some luxury spending. While I had hoped to register and run in the majority of road races that are organized and sanctioned by the Newfoundland and Labrador Athletic Association, this season, the cost of race registration and transportation to and from many of these races, have forced me to drastically scale down my participation. The first of these cuts will be my absence from the Flat Out 5K race, scheduled for April 14, 2013. It saddens me to miss this event - one which I have never run, but at the same time, I have to watch my pennies!

While let me be the first to say that the fees associated with these races are very reasonable, at the same time, I simply cannot justify paying $25 to run a 5k when I can run 5k for free any time I choose to put on my shoes and walk out my front door step.

This article is just another simple reminder that Government budget cuts will affect much more than just Government entities. There will be a trickle down affect where all employees affected by the layoffs and bumps, will have less disposable income.

No comments: