Monday, April 25, 2011

April 25, 2011 - how bout a running update?

Funny how this blog was originally created to chronicle my running. It's been a while since I had an actual running blog post, so here it is! It's been a good long weekend. I decided to set some major marathon running goals for the rest of 2011. I figure the only way to keep myself motivated is to set some high goals and chase after them. as always, I intend to push myself to the limit and reach heights few think I can. So here it is:

- 3 marathons in 14 days in May (Fredericton, Mississauga, and Halifax)
- 1 serious BQ marathon attempt in late august (Quebec City)
- at least 2 fall marathons, tying my annual max of 7 marathons

Obviously, the BQ will be the toughest. I have 4 months to try to regain the shapeIi was in back in summer 2008 when I was on the cusp of BQ numbers. Given the new rolling registration standard for next year, a 3.45.59 will not be good enough. I will need a 3.25.59 in order to guarantee a spot in Boston, so that will be the goal.

I officially started my training program with a solid long weekend. Friday featured a slow long distance run that lasted 2 hours and 50 minutes, covering a mere 23k, but it was the first long run I have had in 5 weeks. saturday and sunday featured tempo runs of 9k and 6k, and today was a series of speed drills - 3 times 2k, including one set at BQ pace (which I was actually amazed I could do!).

I'm definitely looking forward to the challenge of hitting these goals, and enjoying the side effects of training - losing weight and getting back into great shape!

Happy Easter!
Jenn

No comments: