Sunday, March 6, 2011

March 6, 2011 - Running Update & More

Well, as documented, I haven't done much running as of late due to my recovery from Sex Reassignment Surgery on January 24. But in recent weeks, I have slowly started to make my comeback. the comeback officially started 21 days after surgery, with a very light 1.6k run on Feb 15. This was more like a tin-soldier trot, but it was the first time I had my heart rate up in 22 days, so it was a nice first step.

I would end up running about 3 times a week for the rest of the month, leading up to an 8k run towards the end. I ran a total of 44.1k in February. As we enter March 6th, I can feel my fitness levels return to at least where they were before surgery, which is not saying much. But the future is bright. I am now at about 80% mobility and I can run gently for long periods of time without pain. Ironically enough, I still can't squat down to pick something up off the floor, or sit in a chair for long periods of time, without a moderate to strong level of discomfort. But the good news is that the antibiotic topical ointment cream that my doctor gave me last week, is really starting to help the healing process of the sensitive raw skin down there. I appear to be right on schedule to reach full 100% mobility in about 2-3 weeks time.

Well, as we enter March, my cats are starting to shed their winter fur, which means tons of cat fluff all over the place. I think I spent an hour brushing the carpet this morning! Too bad I can't turn all of this cat fluff into a human hair wig! I probably have enough material if it was possible.. lol

Kudos to american blues rocker Melissa Etheridge for coming to Newfoundland last night for a concert. She is probably the best-known lesbian in the rock music business. She has been very open about her life struggles, ranging from being accepted as a lesbian and doing tons of advocacy work, and dealing with cancer. She is a role model to so many, and unlike many in the music business, she actually is a great role model.

Well, I got some good news from my office the other day. While it is no secret that I am upset at being what i feel is severe underemployment, one thing I don't talk about much on here is the fact that i do at least have a job. It only pays half of what I was earning in my last job, but at least it is paying me enough to cover the basics. Rent, heat, cable, internet, telephone, food. It always gets paid for. My temp assignment has now reached over the one year mark, and I was excited to learn that it was extended for another year. The folks at the office have been very accepting of me as a trans person, and they have been very understanding of fact that I feel under employed. I must have asked for time off for job interviews at least 10 times since starting there, and not once have they ever raised concern. On Friday, the entire office chipped in and surprised me with a lovely get-well-soon gift basket, that contained fruit and chocolate. It's nice to know that I am missed and great to know that I am valued not only as a file clerk, but as a human being. I will definitely look forward to my return to the office in a couple of weeks.

Well, blog is now up to date, the apartment is clean, the cats have been fed and brushed, so I think it is time to head outside and get some fresh air!

Jennifer

1 comment:

Born to Run said...

So glad you are doing so well!

Your running and your positive attitude are so inspiring.