Friday, March 11, 2011

March 11, 2011 - general update

Well, it has been a rather good week for me. I had an excellent telephone job interview with the Government of Alberta for an information management and privacy position. I find it interesting that although I send my resume all over the country, Newfoundland and Alberta seem to be the only places where I make it past screening to interview stage. I can only assume that having work experience in Newfoundland, and a Bachelor Degree from an Alberta school, are the key reasons. It makes me wonder if there isn't a little provincial bias in all human resource programs.

Amazingly enough, 4 years ago when I had pretty much given up hopes on finding a decent job with the Ontario Government (despite completing what was supposedly a very prestegious Ontario Government Internship Program), I found myself having job interviews for policy analyst positions in Alberta and Newfoundland. I knew I aced both interviews and sensed that there may be not one, but two job offers to choose from. I made up my mind that I would acccept which ever one came first. Well, two phone calls came within 10 minutes of each other, and the rest was history!

Given all of that history, it would be highly ironic if I ended up leaving Newfoundland for Alberta this year! As much as I still want to make Newfoundland my long-term home, I would jump at the chance to go to Edmonton and take this job.

Anyway, I have been battling a bit of a cold this week, and that slowed me down for the early part of the week. I finally felt better yesterday, and gave myself my toughest running test to date since coming home from surgery. I ran two 10.55k sets, with an hour break in between. a quasi-half-marathon. It was a strong and steady run with practically no discomfort in the surgical site area. It was a great work out and a great confidence booster. I can tell that I am very close to having all of my mobility. There's still some discomfort when I sit in a chair for long periods of time, but I sense that a week from now, I will be 100%.

Meanwhile, I have stuck my nose back into the books, having read autobiographies of Ric Flair and Pete Sampras this week. Still on the book shelf next in line will be biographies of Don Felder (the disgruntled ex-guitarist of the Eagles), Boris Becker, Monica Seles, and John McEnroe. As I attempt to regain the best physical health possible, I hope I can pick up some pointers by reading the stories of some of the best and most successful people in the world who I admire.

Whether I have the pure athletic talent or not, what I know that I have, and what gives me an advantage, is my killer instinct athletic zone. Sampras definitely had it, as I knew he did. Whenever he stepped onto that tennis court, he just oozed with confidence. He believed in himself and he knew he was going to be the best in the sport, which he was. As out of shape as I am right now, I have this sense of inner confidence. I just know that whatever running goals I will set, I will hit them. I have no doubt in my mind that I will be back at Boston again soon. I also have no doubt in my mind that I will do the unthinkable and one day break my personal best marathon time that I set in 2008 as a male.

Jennifer

No comments: