Monday, November 4, 2013

Canadian Trans Trailblazer Receives Respect and Kudos from American fan 11/4/13

I just wanted to share a piece of fan mail that I received today. The identity comes from someone I only know as a pseudonym, but I know deep down that this is genuine and from the heart of the author.

It is nice to see that someone out there not only recognizes the hard work I do as a trailblazer for trans rights, but is willing to take the time to express such.

************************************************

Hi Jennifer,

I wanted to take a moment to go over your recent campaign for Deputy Mayor. Like others, I watched your video where you discussed your feelings on the feedback you received after the conclusion of the campaign. You let us all know that you didn't run for that position to lose ... you did it to win. That does not surprise me at all coming from someone that takes athletic competitions just as seriously (you won't train hard enough to bring out the best in yourself if you don't intend to win). I understand why you feel the way you do about this situation, and you have every right to feel the way you do.

However (I'm sure you have heard "however" before many times... please bear with me on this), your candidacy involved more than the possibility of an individual win ... it potentially involved a win for transgendered individuals (and a much-needed win at that). I'm proud of you for running that campaign of yours, but I'm proud of you for a much different reason. This world is simply not even remotely ready for recognizing equal rights for transgendered people, and yet you ran for that position.

I've noticed something as the years roll by ... There are causes that have yet to even be given a voice, and anyone that dares start up that cause is doomed to failure because all worthwhile causes are doomed to fail from the start ... people simply are NOT ready for them. It takes time and many, many champions and voices. There is something very special about the first few waves of fighters for any cause ... they face the worst opposition, they rarely if ever get to personally experience the eventual victory as it never seems to happen within their lifetimes, and yet they STILL start the fight for the cause so that others in the future will be able to benefit from the eventual victory. That's pretty awesome.

I'll be (painfully) honest with you ... I didn't expect you to win either. It's not because I didn't think you deserved to win (far from it). It's because I had an idea (only an idea) as to just how unprepared this world is for a transgendered person to win a political office (any political office). Holding a political office means possessing the power to CHANGE, and people simply are not ready for that kind of change ... yet.

I understand if this feedback feels like a double-edged situation to you. I know you are more than simply an athelete. I know you are more than simply a transgendered person for that matter. However, I hope you soon realize just how much of an impact you have had up to this point. Yes, many didn't vote and you were defeated in your pursuit of that position ... one step at a time, Jennifer :)

I strongly urge you to keep going. Gay people don't even have equal standing yet, and transgendered people are going to have even more of a fight for equality. EVERY single attempt like this one makes ALL the difference in the end because every single fight is necessary to finally GET to the end.

I'm a results-oriented person as well. However, I also like to look several steps ahead in order to help me better layout a plan for success. You now have a much better idea as to what to expect from voters ... you already know what they need (all housing and NO business dooms any location).

I wish you the best. :)

No comments: