Thursday, July 24, 2014

McCreath reconciles with St. John's Pride, speaks at Middle Cove 7/14/14

It was a special moment for me on July 14, 2014 at the town hall of Logy Bay-Outer Cove-Middle Cove, as I reconciled with St. John's Pride Inc., an organization which I founded in 2010, yet left under rough circumstances in 2012, and attended and spoke at the Middle Cove flag raising event.

The Middle Cove bonfire event has been a St. John's Pride week tradition for more than 20 years, but it was I who conceptualized the Middle Cove flag-raising event in 2011. It was great to return three years later, and not only speak at this event about trans issues, but to help raise the trans flag at this location for the first time ever.

The event was well-attended, and included special speeches by myself, along with Mayor John Kennedy, Susan Rose of Egale Canada, and St. John's Pride reps.  The event was extra special for the trans community, as I joined 3 of the 4 trans people, who make up the 8 person Pride Board of Directors, to raise the trans flag.

Depicted are me with my infamous trans plungers, Mayor Kennedy, Me raising the trans flag with Pride Board members, the Mayor with Pride board members, Susan Rose speaking, and me speaking.



No comments: