Thursday, June 20, 2013

Poignant Thought on Attempting to Enforce the Unenforceable


Getting published on main stream media, is a compliment to the thought on the topic, as well as the understanding of what makes good TV. I take pride in my ability to get quoted on the daily "Point of View" segment of CBC news, pretty much every time I submit a comment!  While I often shy away from getting involved in Justice-related discussions, I couldn't resist the opportunity to point out the obvious tonight, and did no without directly saying anything that could get me in trouble (I always measure that fine line between what I can talk about, and what I can't, given my current employment).

Quoting CBC's coverage of the story directly:  "Gordon Milley, 30, has been charged with first-degree murder in the case. He also faces charges of sexual assault, public mischief, and breach of recognizance. He was on probation and under strict conditions not to be in Sheshatshiu at the time of Rich's death. Milley has a total of 71 criminal convictions dating back to 2001. The fact that Milley could breach those conditions so easily has many concerned."

Should this guy have been allowed out on probation? Was it reasonable to assume he would respect the honour system to stay away from Sheshatshiu? Was he really deemed 'not a risk' to this victim, who is now dead?

Obviously, I don't have all the answers, and let's also keep in mind that he has innocent until proven guilty. But ultimately, a life has been lost here, and it will be a shame if it turns out that this tragedy could have been prevented with a little tougher proactive justice. Bottom line, Orders need to be enforceable. This one was easily breakable; and worse, the only consequence to breaching a court order of this nature, is often a small penalty, as well as additional court orders not to breach them again... (go ahead, roll your eyes).

I don't blame the police, I don't blame the Crown, I don't blame the Judges. They all did their best dealing with the statutes and legal precedents that we have in place. The policies need to change!

My beef here is with the Federal Government. The Harper Government has not toughened up on crime since taking office. We see more criminals given light sentences and more criminals re-offending, that perhaps ever before. This is purely my opinion,  we need to consider less of this "catch and release" stuff and more on taking steps to ensure that dangerous people are not free to roam society and cause further dangerous activities or death to others.

If it does turn out that a 21 yr old girl was raped and murdered by a man with a 71 page criminal record, then we all need to look in the mirror and ask what life in this country is really about! #cdnpoli #nlpoli

No comments: