Monday, August 6, 2012

Cape to Cabot Streak to continue

Sometimes I can be too stubborn for my own good. After initially planning to take the rest of the year off road racing to focus on swimming, my pride got in the way of what many might consider to be common sense. After what seems like a year of can'ts and dont's... a year where it seems so many things have been taken away from me, I literally decided to put my foot down.

One thing I desperately do not want to lose is my dignity. Running has been the one thing that nobody could take away from me over the last 5 years. I've had my job taken, my home, my family, my friends, my human rights, my health care, and my supposed mental sanity.. yet i've always been able to lace up the running shoes.

I struggled through a half marathon in May in much worse shape than I am in now, so I figured, heck, why not throw my name into the Cape to Cabot and remain one of only 20 who have ran them all.

I actually had a very strong 11k run yesterday, that followed an awesome 80 minute swim on Saturday. So heck, as long as I feel I can meet the 3 hour time limit requirement, and as long as I feel the ankle ligament is able to handle it, I am going to give it a go this October in the 6th annual Cape to Cabot.

Even more exciting, is a new focus and meaning I now have on life, once again, as a runner. I technically un-retired from marathon running, for the third time, a short while ago, so now it's time to put up or shut up, as they say.

I've had an excellent week of swimming, and I can already see how it has started to help my endurance. I have also dropped a few more pounds this past week, which is great news.

So as I stated on Facebook the other day, I will continue to register for, and run, the Cape to Cabot, each and every year. The next and only times I will miss this race, is when I am dead.

Let the hill-training  begin! 69 days til race day!

No comments: