1) June 16, 2000 - Motorhead concert at the legendary Agora Theatre. Also featuring a very good upstarting metal band Nashville Pussy. I spent the entire show in the front row of the mosh pit and stood right in front of speakers, which gave me permanent hearing loss!
2) February 24-25, 2001 James Gang reunion concerts at Allen Theatre, featuring Joe Walsh. This trip also marked mt first of several visits to Cleveland's Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Joe left the Gang in 1971 to pursue other ventures. This reunion gig turned out to be their first full gig together in 30 years!
3) October 6, 2001 - Joe Cocker and The Guess Who (featuring Burton Cummings & Randy Bachman), at Gund Arena. My first post- 9/11/01 era concert was marred by extreme security scrutiny, doing full body searches on all patrons.
4) October 7, 2001 - San Diego Chargers vs Cleveland Browns (featuring Doug Flutie). Perhaps the best american player to ever play north of the border, Doug Flutie became a football icon in Canada - playing n8 seasons in the CFL, before returning to the NFL, where he brought the Buffalo Bills into the playoffs. Seeing him as a San Diego Charger was tons of fun.
5) September 8, 2002 - season opener Kansas City Chiefs @ Cleveland Browns - the famous Dwayne Rudd helmet-toss game! Seeing my Chiefs open the season in a hostile environment, made for an interesting afternoon. The game apparently ended when Dwayne Rudd sacked KC QB Trent Green with no time on the clock, to five the browns a 39-38 win; however, Green had actually lateraled the ball to John Tait prior to the sack, and Rudd, thinking he had won the game, threw his helmet in celebration. Turns out he technically threw his helmet during play, as Tait was still running with the ball! The penalty resulted in the game being extended 1 more play, for legendary Morton Andersen to kick KC a game-winning field goal!
Cleveland got the last laugh in the end though, as they made the playoffs with a 9-7 record, while KC just missed out, as they closed their season with an ugly loss in Oakland to fall to 8-8.
6) August 22, 2003 - Kenny Loggins concert - Scene Pavillion - seeing an outdoor concert along the old Cleveland river, was tons of fun! Kenny is a 'distant cousin' of the legendary California Country Rock Family Tree, which produced bands such as Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, Poco, and the Eagles...
7) October 15, 2003 - Eagles farewell tour - Gund Arena - featuring Joe Walsh at home! Joe was on fire this night!
8) May 15, 2005 - Bruce Springsteen special solo acoustic concert at Cleveland University. Just Bruce, a guitar, and a harmonica. Awesome show!
9) Aug 13, 2006 - Poco, Pure Prairie League, Chris Hillman & Herb Pedersen - Cain Park - a night of country rock legends! To see my favourite band, Poco, in cleveland, with two other awesome acts on the bill, made for an amazing night!
10) May 20, 2007 - Cleveland Marathon! my second ever marathon. i honoured the Cleveland Browns as i kicked a cup of gatorate (which was full) and sent it flying in the air, as i ran around the stadium!
11) September 27, 2008 - Akron Marathon! Akron is about 20 miles south of Cleveland's downtown and is considered a suburb. This was a special run for me as it was race 1 of 2 on a weekend in which i would run 2 marathons in 2 days in 2 countries!
Follow @Jenn_McCreath Tweet