Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Twitter spat with Roseanne Barr & her transphobic feminist supporters

Wow, it's been a very busy week. I haven't even been able to keep up with my Blog here. I generally try to post stories of relevance in a timely manner.

As some you may know, Roseanne Barr, a well-known American television personality, has decided to throw her name into the political ring. She is running as a candidate for President of the United States of America in an election that will be contested later this year.

Recently, Roseanne published some comments that were perceived to be of a transphobic nature. Specifically, she demonstrated what clearly appeared to be transphobia with regards to public washrooms (sigh, here we go again).

Anyway, I wrote her a respectful tweet requesting and suggesting that she educate herself on the truths of transsexualism, and I was met with a vile response that included profanity.  Shortly after, I vlogged about the twitter exchange, and my vlog caught the fire of a couple of fairly well-known feminist extremists, who have since taken to the internet to slander and defame my character.  I won't give them the satisfaction of identifying them by name, nor will i link to their work.

However, I find myself feeling a polarized mixture of feelings. First of all, I am actually quite flattered that two of the world's best-known transphobic feminists would consider little old Jennifer to be worthy of a complex attack that must have taken hours to prepare. Secondly, their attacks are so blatantly transphobic to the point that they are comical.

But ultimately, it saddens me to learn that this world could contain people who feel such an extreme level of hatred and phobia towards a person they have never met, and a person who causes absolutely no threat or risk to their bathroom safety. It also concerns and saddens me that the idiotic and gullible legislative leaders in the state of Maryland, have actually fallen for the crap spewed out of one of these folks, to the point that they refused to include gender identity or gender expression into their human rights and hate crime legislative reviews.  Sadly, Maryland boasts one of the worst records in terms of transphobic violence and discrimination. Most-notably, was a story that went viral a year ago when a transwoman was violently beaten in a McDonalds restaurant by two cis people, while a cis employee stood by encouraging the assault and video taping it.

Anyway, it is my intention to pursue a legislative review of the statutes of the state of Maryland, and will look into the possibility of a criminal law complaint and/or a case of civil action.  There is a strong base of trans advocates in Maryland, that I have already been in contact with, and I look forward to working with them to help them in their fight for rights and equality.

No comments: